Monday, August 20, 2018

Old-School Cornbread

I don't particularly care for cornbread made from self-rising or Jiffy cornbread mix.  I started making my cornbread using plain yellow cornmeal a few years back but it has become increasingly difficult to find the plain yellow cornmeal in stores.  On the occasions when I do find it, it is usually the 2-pound bag of white cornmeal.  I always buy the 5-pound bag because I cook it quite often because hubby and I usually have some with our dinner, especially with fresh vegetables (collard greens, turnip greens, green beans, rutabagas, peas, beans, etc.).

I was told at one of the stores that they had started removing the plain cornmeal from the shelves because there is no longer a great demand for it.  I was crushed!!! What about those of us who still use it???

Later I remembered that when I was a child, my parents would take dried corn to the mill to be ground into cornmeal so I decided to go to YouTube for directions on making my own cornmeal.  Pay dirt!!! YouTube ROCKS!!! You can find instructions/directions for almost everything  there.  After my YouTube search, I found that all I needed to make my own cornmeal was un-popped popcorn and my blender to grind it.  I ground my first batch of cornmeal, baked some cornbread muffins and they turned out perfect!!!  Here is  my recipe:

Cornbread

1 large scoop of cornmeal from ground popcorn (approximately 1 1/2 cups)
1 large scoop of all-purpose flour (approximately 1 1/2 cups)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 stick softened or melted butter
2 eggs
1 to 1 1/2 cups whole milk

  1. Preheat oven to 450 F.  Grease pans.
  2. Grind the corn in a blender or food processor, then sift using a strainer (I grind 2 cups of popcorn in order to yield enough for me).  After sifting cornmeal into your bowl, the residuals left in your strainer can be discarded. 
  3. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar until thoroughly blended.
  4. Add milk, eggs, and butter and stir or whisk until thoroughly mixed together.
  5. Pour batter into greased pan or muffin tins
  6. Bake until done (10-12 minutes in my cast iron muffin pans)
Note:  Add 1/2 tsp baking soda with the dry ingredient if using buttermilk


No comments:

Post a Comment